Friday, July 26, 2013

The Mechanics of Hypnotism- As I See Them

Hypnosis! The very word brings in a picture of a person dangling an object in front of another one, saying repeatedly to concentrate, followed by words like, "you are
sleepy", "your eyes are drooping, "you are now going to sleep" and done! Magic performed! I have always thought of this as an act of magic, and though this actually
is a technique used often in psychological treatments, sometimes in criminal cases but it has never been a thing I have been anxious to unravel for myself. It is only
recently after I have read a few books on spirituality, heard learned people talk about openness of mind, conscious and sub-conscious etc., that I am trying to find a
path which the act of hypnosis follows. I may be nowhere near the actual mechanism, but from the knowledge I possess this is what I figured out.
It is a scientifically proven fact that the human brain is divided into two halves, each performaing a distinguished function. There are many different functions but on
a very high level, the two can be divided as, the left brain, which is the thinking part or the conscious part so to say and the right brain, the sub-conscious which
stores images and helps us visualise things (not that visualising is not same as seeing or watching). It is again proven that as kids we are like a blank file and large
portions of data can be written on the inexhaustible storage of our brain. Kids learn by seeing and watching more than by reading or listening (this holds true even at
an older age, we tend to remember more what we see than what we hear). The reason being, as kids, the conscious brain is still developing and majority of what we learn
is through the right brain which relies on things visible and on what we visualise. This part of brain is used less and less as our conscious brain grows and becomes
active, more often than not conscious blocks the sub-conscious. We start questioning things, compare things with what we seem possible and discard many things which our
conscious mind does not accept and hence block things from entering the sub-conscious. For example, when years ago people didn't even imagine one could fly, Leonardo
da Vinci came out with the painting of a prototype, because he could visualise, he didn't say it's not possible but just gave it a try. The same visualisation and
overcoming of conscious, has resulted in major inventions and discoveries made which were against the general norms and practices of society over the years.
Another very simple example which establishes this divide and also conveys the power of the right brain is the fact that we often remember the faces of people we have
met but forget their names. This I think is what a person practicing hypnotism builds on. Through the act of making us concentrate, he just makes sure that our
conscious barin is stable, devoid of thoughts, then lethargic and is finally put to sleep. That is just the moment when the right brain is still awake and we are in the
sub-conscious, the words then spoken are not obstructed by the consciuos and enter directly the sub-conscious to stay there. This is how I believe people become
controlled by their hypnotizers.
This is also what is actually being done through the various meditation courses, calming ourselves down, relaxing the mind and putting the conscious to rest so that
pure thought goes into the right brain, the feeling of peace and calm which then stays and helps us be in control of ourselves. I have also been told that even as we
sleep, just before we are completely asleep, the sub-conscious is awake momentarily and any thoughts then thought or visualised can actually become a part of our
existence and be realised. This is how we may try and dream our dreams, so that one day they may come true.
I am thinking now that can this also be related to deja vous? I believe I have got more to read on and search to come up with any theory on that.

No comments: